Operational Surveillance Officer
Cessnock, NSW, 2325
Cessnock City Council provides a diverse range of services and facilities for the residents within the local government area, as well as visitors to the area. We employ approximately 320 employees and are situated within the Hunter Valley of New South Wales, approximately 120 kilometres north of Sydney and 40 kilometres west of Newcastle.
We are currently seeking an Operational Surveillance Officer to join our Works and Operations Team. This position will undertake planning and monitoring of Councils operational activities in conjunction with the Works Engineer. In addition you will provide technical support to the Works and Operations Unit ensuring continuous improvement in the quality and delivery of activities, services and projects.
This role will also be required to:
- Provide operational and technical support to Council’s construction and maintenance teams in the completion of road construction programs and ensuring they are completed according to design specifications and legislative requirements, within established time, quality and cost targets;
- Provide effective leadership of all Construction and maintenance staff including reviewing and managing the performance of the team, assisting the workload and output of the team and ensuring that work is undertaken in an accurate, timely and responsive manner;
- Ensure that contract works are administered in accordance with statutory obligations stipulated in the Local Government Act 1993 and the State Government’s Code of Tendering and Code of Practice for the Construction Industry and Council’s Procurement Procedure; and
- Maintain the health and safety of the general public and Council staff during the execution of works by ensuring safe work practices are adopted and adhered to in accordance with Council’s WHS policy and procedures.
To succeed in this role, you will have:
- Associate Diploma in Civil Engineering / Certificate IV in Local Government Operational Works/Frontline Management or equivalent with particular emphasis in civil works and project management;
- Demonstrated extensive experience in civil works with a thorough knowledge of road and drainage construction and maintenance techniques, technical specifications, project scheduling techniques, project cost estimating and control and quality assurance and control;
- Demonstrated sound experience in on site supervisory role in civil engineering with proven leadership skills and an ability to foster an environment based on teamwork and cooperation;
- Well-developed interpersonal, written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to build effective working relationships with people at all levels of the organisation; and
- Current Class C Drivers Licence and a current Traffic Controllers Certificate – Prepare a Work Zone Traffic Management Plan or equivalent.
Remuneration and Benefits:
- $64,577 - $74,773 per annum
- 10.5% superannuation
- 35 hours per week
- 19 day month and RDO scheme
- Generous corporate fitness program
- Picturesque Hunter Valley location!
Close Date: Thursday 29 August 2019 at 11.30pm
How to Apply:
Before applying, please read the position description below.
Please complete the application form below and provide detailed answers to the questions which relate to the essential and desirable criteria within the role description, then upload a copy of your resume and cover letter. For more information on how to address the selection criteria please visit: http://www.cessnock.nsw.gov.au/council/jobs/Howtoapply
You may find it helpful to write your response to the questions in a word document then copy/paste this into the application form once you are ready to submit your application.
Sam Basnayake, Works Engineer on 4993 4144
Guided by staff values of integrity, respect, teamwork, accountability and excellence, Cessnock City Council is indeed an attractive, thriving Council and employer of choice.