Principal Engineer - Design & Project Management
Cessnock, NSW, 2325
Cessnock City Council provides a diverse range of services and facilities for the residents within the local government area, as well as visitors to the area. We employ approximately 380 employees and are situated within the Hunter Valley of New South Wales, approximately 120 kilometres north of Sydney and 40 kilometres west of Newcastle.
Are you a proven leader with experience in design and project management and a passion for engineering and infrastructure? We have an excellent opportunity for a highly skilled Principal Engineer to lead a team of professionals in the effective delivery of Council’s civil infrastructure; environmental infrastructure (including storm-water drainage, bridges and culverts), roads, and traffic and transport facilities.
The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in a similar role with proven solid experience and working knowledge of investigation, design and construction of civil infrastructure, and use of recognised Project Management methodologies.
This role will also be required to:
- Provide engineering advice and develop and maintain strategy and policy in relation to the management of Council’s civil infrastructure, including environmental infrastructure, roads and traffic and transport facilities;
- Provide effective leadership to the design and project management team including; reviewing performance, identifying training requirements, providing technical guidance, facilitating the development of team goals and priorities, providing mentoring to staff and fostering a constructive and customer focused team environment;
- Develop and maintain a Project Management Framework, provide project management services including management of project scope, program, cost, safety, quality, environmental impacts, stakeholder management, communications, record keeping, risk management and procurement;
- Provide civil design and documentation, including working drawings and technical specifications, and cost estimating for renewal, upgrade and construction of new civil infrastructure; and
- Provide highly experienced procurement services including preparation of request documents, tendering, contract administration and construction monitoring.
To succeed in this role, you will have:
- Tertiary qualifications at a degree minimum or equivalent in Civil Engineering, Structural Engineering, or other relevant discipline that reflects the key accountabilities of the position;
- Extensive experience in a similar role, with the proven ability to successfully lead, motivate, develop and support a multi-disciplinary team of professionals in the delivery of objectives;
- Demonstrated sound experience in the design, documentation, cost estimation and construction of renewal and delivery of new infrastructure, including scoping, scheduling and cost control of Capital Works; and
- Strong written and verbal communication skills including the ability to communicate with a range of stakeholders, both internal and external, and write complex reports.
Remuneration and Benefits:
- $101,783 - $117,050 per annum
- 10.5% superannuation
- 3.5% Civil Liabilities Allowance
- 35 hours per week
- Leaseback vehicle
- 19 day month and RDO scheme
- Flexible work arrangements and work/life balance
- Generous corporate fitness program
- Picturesque Hunter Valley location!
Close Date: Thursday 21 February 2019 at 11.30pm
How to Apply:
Before applying, please read the position description below.
Please complete the application form below and answer the questions which relate to the essential and desirable criteria within the role description, then upload a copy of your resume and cover letter. For more information on how to address the selection criteria please visit: http://www.cessnock.nsw.gov.au/council/jobs/Howtoapply
You may find it helpful to write your response to the questions in a word document then copy/paste this into the application form once you are ready to submit your application.
Katrina Kerr, Infrastructure Manager on 4993 4281
Guided by staff values of integrity, respect, teamwork, accountability and excellence, Cessnock City Council is indeed an attractive, thriving Council and employer of choice.